Recently the Wall St Journal ran through an unscientific review of a few coffee grinders, mostly targeted at higher end consumers. They skipped the spice grinder, cheap-o $9 entry level unit that so many of us first started out with, and skipped right to some good ones.
Check out the list with their full impressions and findings on the Coffee Grinder review
Ready to step up into the big time? While a lot of people get started with a blade grinder or even a small burr grinder, espresso fans know that if you want to step up in quality, a great place to think about is getting a better grinder. Not only is a burr grinder important, but a reliable precision grinder that can turn out the same fine grind time and time again can be key in creating a great cup of coffee.
The Gaggia MDF Grinder is a good first step up from a typical home grinder as it is a high quality burr grinder that delivers coffee through 34 different fineness settings and 50 mm tempered steel grinding burrs. The Gaggia MDF, like many other higher end grinders will grind into a chamber, and with a quick pull of the lever, it will deliver about 1/4 ounce of ground coffee directly into a portafilter, just like in most coffee shops. The 1/4 ounce, or about 7 grams is usually enough for a single shot of espresso. The Gaggia MDF is a good step up machine from the regular home grinder. The next step up to consider is the Rancillo Rocky which is a bit more quiet and a bit more rugged, and a bit more money. For anyone using a commercial portafilter machine, a high quality grinder like this is a must.
- Housing Material: Thermo-Set Plastic
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 11.5" x 4.5" x 8.5"
- Hopper Capacity: 10 ounces
At Amazon: The Gaggia MDF Espresso Grinder
This grinder will normally cost you over $300 and some change. You can now get a Factory-Reconditioned KitchenAid Pro Line Burr Coffee Grinder for just $90 bucks. Yep - save over 200+ bucks and you'll be styling while you grind those espresso beans.
- The KitchenAid Pro Line Coffee Mill is made of handsome Die-Cast metal housing making for a rugged, stable, and easy to clean unit.
- With the Pro Line Coffee Mill, you can adjust the Commercial Quality Stainless Steel Cutting Burrs to 15 different Grind Sizes for that perfect Espresso, French Press, or cup of automatic drip.
- The 7 oz capacity bean hopper and coffee bin are glass to minimize the static "cling" of coffee grounds.
- The DC motor with gear reduction system makes for quiet grinding. System turns the cutting burrs at just 450 rpm, minimizing the frictional heating of the grinds and preserving coffee flavor and aroma.
- The Under-Cabinet design allows the unit to fit easily under wall cabinets on the countertop.
- The smooth metal housing is a snap to wipe clean. Bean hopper, hopper lid, and coffee bin are dishwasher-safe.
At Factory-Reconditioned KitchenAid Pro Line Burr Coffee Grinder, Empire Red